Yes, all of our hospital covers come with automatic Access Gap cover, which can help you to reduce or avoid out-of-pocket medical fees when you go into hospital.
Here's how it works: when you are treated as an inpatient in hospital your doctor's fees are split between Medicare and your private hospital cover. Medicare reimburses you for 75% of the MBS (Medicare Benefits Schedule) fee and your hospital cover pays the remaining 25%. Out-of-pocket costs can arise because doctors are not restricted to only charging the MBS fee. Any amount your doctor charges above the MBS fee is not covered by Medicare or your hospital cover.
Access Gap cover can help you to reduce or eliminate your out-of-pocket costs by making certain arrangements with your doctors before you go into hospital. The way it works is that you ask your doctors if they will participate in rt’s Access Gap cover at the time you are making arrangements for your hospital stay. If your doctors agree, it means they are willing to accept a set fee for their services that is more than the MBS fee, but probably less than what they might otherwise charge. This means you are likely to have lower out-of-pocket costs, or in some cases, none at all. You can ask any of your treating doctors if they are willing to participate in Access Gap cover, and they are free to do so or not on a case-by-case basis.
Look up which doctors currently participate in our Access Gap cover.